Experienced Firmware Engineer
Vanderbilt is a global provider of security systems, operating efficiently in 95 countries. Vanderbilt designs, manufactures and distributes systems that safeguard environments and organizations of all sizes. Agility, adaptability, and dependability are distinctive marks of the Vanderbilt brand and these decisive traits satisfy a broad variety of customers’ application needs across banking, education, healthcare, retail, and more. Our product lines include access control, intrusion and video. To learn more, please visit www.vanderbiltindustries.com, or follow us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
To develop and maintain firmware modules in C for products in the portfolio. Development to be completed in accordance with technical specifications and the development guidelines (to cost and timeline) under management/guidance of FW Team Leader.
To assist in the analysis and resolution of product and manufacturing test equipment issues arising
Duties and Responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to:
- Developing firmware features on all embedded products in the portfolio to include - Code Architectural Design and Code Development
- Maintaining firmware on all products and test equipment
- Firmware development for product manufacturing test (e.g. test fixtures, PC level test, test procedures etc.) in order to ensure optimal cost and quality of products supplied by EMS manufacturers
- The creation of technical documentation for all firmware modules worked on , such as source code documentation, technical specifications, test criteria and release notes
- Developing test modules and testing firmware modules prior to system test
- Releasing and archiving project related documentation and data, including source code
- Creating release notes for all new developments to hand over to test and product management
- Approvals and Compliance - Ensuring firmware modules designed to comply with relevant standards
- Working on and developing concepts, technical specifications and architecture designs for products
- Keeping abreast of all technologies relevant to product design
Key Experience and Competencies
- Electronic Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Expert skills in “C” firmware development.
- At least 3 years post-graduate experience in firmware development, including: o Microprocessor research and design o 32-bit microprocessor or ARM design experience
- RTOS experience
- Experience with source code control
- Experience with JTAG debugging
- Knowledge of FW development environment (methodology & tools etc.). Build up knowledge of security products market (technologies, competitor products etc.)
- High-speed data communication and experience with communication protocols, TCP/IP, RS232, RS485
- Telecommunications protocols – GSM, 3G/4G
- Digital audio/image compression
- Experience with any low-level communication protocols (i2C, SPI).
- Knowledge of international standards and regulations in the electronics industry
- Attention to detail, thoroughness and working to agreed timelines
- Experience in model-based design and automatic code generation
- Manufacturing processes and test environments e.g. Labview
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The successful candidate will work primarily in an office environment, within a well-ventilated area, and is exposed to moderate noise levels.
- Some travel and fieldwork including international travel, therefore employee must possess or can acquire a valid Passport.